Happy Thanksgiving, Curious George
Platt, Cynthia and Julie Bartynski.
Happy Thanksgiving, Curious George.
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
Review copy provided courtesy of publisher.
From cooking the feast to saying thanks and everything in between, Curious George does a wonderful job introducing young children to the Thanksgiving holiday. This book is perfect for children who are old enough to begin understanding that Thanksgiving in a special day - out of the ordinary. The text is simple, yet detailed enough to paint a thorough picture of many traditions of family Thanskgiving celebrations. Coupled with the illustrations, children are sure to comprehend what's important and special about Thanksgiving!
- Use this book to help introduce your children to the Thanksgiving holiday.
- Involve your children in helping prepare the turkey for the feast... chances are the parts of the job you'll hate (removing the gizzards, seasoning with your hands, etc), your child will take delight in! Just make sure they wash their hands to eliminate any possible bacteria spreads after handling the uncooked bird!
- Turn into the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. As a family, have each member pick which float/display they like most!
- Tables often feature centerpieces or nameplates at Thanksgiving, have your child craft a handprint turkey similar to Curious George's! Use these as nameplates for each guest. A pattern can be found here.
- Children love to help out - give them the assignment of setting the table (of course, if you're using fine china or similar, you'll want to modify this a bit) - allow them to set out the silverware and napkins!
- Anything in the kitchen is fun for kids - allow them to help you prepare the side dishes - peeling vegetables, mixing, or even measuring and pouring are tasks that children can handle with supervision.
- Be sure to include your children in "Saying Thanks!" They're definitely old enough to name something they're thankful for! Of course, you might need to do some prompting, but they'll enjoy being a part of the conversation during the meal.
If you're interested in finding out more information about any of the books reviewed or if you'd like to purchase the books, click the cover image for a link to Amazon.com. I am an Amazon Affiliate, so any purchases you make after clicking these images will result in my receiving a small percentage of the sale price!