Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Theme 9: Growing and Changing

I've wanted to do this all year, but have yet to find the actual time and ambition to make it happen... However, because I'm so utterly excited about our 9th theme in UPK this year, I'm determined to get it done!

Our Head Start program uses the High/Scope curriculum and incorporates the Houghton Mifflin Pre-K literacy curriculum as well. We use the Houghton Mifflin mainly to provide children with exposure the "alphafriends" that will be a big part of their Kindergarten year. I have been trying very hard to successfully incorporate all of the Houghton Mifflin themes into our High/Scope curriculum to make the most of both curriculums!

So... the current Houghton Mifflin theme? Growing and changing... focusing on letters Gg, Ee and Dd. Letter Gg was last week... spring break this week and then we move on to letter Ee... and I have some incredible ideas planned and I'm thinking my UPKers are going to love what I have to offer! I'm hoping you all will enjoy the ideas too!

For now though, I'm going to just share some of the resources I've already used as well as those I'm planning to use. Updates/thoughts/comments on them will come as they are put to use in the coming weeks!

Books to use in collaboration with the Growing and Changing theme:

Activity Kits to Watch "Growing and Changing" Take Place:

This is not a complete list of resources that I may use, nor will I necessary use everything on this list. It will depend how things play out with the children and how the weeks go. I will post more information about the activities, photos and thoughts as I go along!





If you're interested in finding out more information about any of the books reviewed or if you'd like to purchase the books, click the cover image for a link to Amazon.com. I am an Amazon Affiliate, so any purchases you make after clicking these images will result in my receiving a small percentage of the sale price!

0 comments: