Friday, February 27, 2009

Poetry Friday

Some of you may have been wondering what happened to my posts for this week... well, it's winter, and that means I'm sick... yes, I did just get over one ear infection, and came right back down with something else... I think it's the flu - three day fever of almost 102, aches, all that fun. However, I think I'm the upside of this now, so I'm gonna try and catch up a bit! And to start, I've decided to participate Karen's "Poetry Friday," over at Mommy's Favorite Children's Books.

I'm not a HUGE fan of poetry... tended to struggle interpreting most of it when I was younger and just had a hard time focusing on reading it. However, as a teacher, I know poetry has to come into play at some point in time in my future classroom and since I was offered an ARC of Falling Down the Page: A Book of List Poems. The book, I must say, was truly wonderful! The poems are incredibly written - and children will hold them near and dear to their hearts as they will truly be able to connect personally with probably 75% of the poems in the book.

I think this book would make for a wonderful springboard to a writing workshop focusing on list poems. Because of that, I have complied a list of links relating to lesson plans for list poems or just more information regarding list poems. This book will definitely be on the shelf in my future classroom for sharing with students!

If you're interested in finding out more information about any of the books reviewed or if you'd like to purchase the books, click the cover image for a link to Amazon.com.

2 comments:

style='clear: both;' Amy @ Literacy Launchpad said...

Wow. You're much more on top of things than I was when I was sick.

Isn't it awful? I feel like I never get anything done in a day. So why is it that when I get sick for 1 day I feel SO behind??? I don't get it.

Hope you're feeling better!

style='clear: both;' Mary Lee said...

Lucky you to get this as an ARC! Looks like a must-have!