Wednesday, March 4, 2009

National Grammar Day

As a teacher, I had to go for this one! And let me tell you, there are some very cool books out there relating to grammar that make excellent teaching tools! I've got 5 of them to share with you today! The Words are CATegorical series by Brian P. Cleary is so cool that I tried to only review those for today's post. However, someone else has found them very cool too and I couldn't get any more from the library!

Cleary, Brian P. A Mink, A Fink, A Skating Ring: What is a Noun? 1999. Carolhoda Books, Inc.

As part of the "Words are CATegorical" series, Cleary introduces readers to nouns in this cleaver, humorous story. Nouns are defined to readers before the title page. Once readers have a brief definition of a noun, Cleary goes on to give specific examples of nouns. The rhyming text makes the story not only fun to read but almost song-like!
A box, a lip, a chocolate chip, A cup or glass from which you sip, A pocket, button, sleeve, or cuff - A noun can simply be your stuff.
I absolutely loved this and will certainly use it in my classroom someday!

Cleary, Brian P.
Straight and Curvy, Meek and Nervy: More About Antonyms.
2009.

You can only imagine how excited I was to receive this in the mail in time for my National Grammar Day post! I love using literature to teach grammar and English Language Arts, so of course, I'm most happy with another book from the "Words are CATegorical" series!
Cheer and jeer are antonyms, like straight and extra curvy, wet and dry, and sell and buy, as well as meek and nervy.
This second helping of antonyms by Cleary will certainly not disappoint. It paints a true understanding of exactly what antonyms are and definitely will find a place in my future classroom!

Dahl, Michael.
If You Were An Adjective.
2006.
Coughlan Publishing.


Another wonderful series that is used to teach grammar is "Word Fun." This book in the series gives a brief review of "If You Were a Noun" and then goes on to explain that an adjective describes a noun.
An elephant is a noun. If you were an adjective, you would tell us about the elephant. The GRAY elephant is GIGANTIC and WET.
I love this series as much as I love the "Words are CATegorical" and it will definitely be used in my classroom!

Dahl, Michael.
If You Were A Noun.
2006.
Coughlan Publishing.


A second book in the "Word Fun" series, Dahl attempts to help students learn about nouns - proper, singular, plural. Dahl has readers entering space in this edition. Students are sure to quickly catch on that a star, an astronaut and a spaceship are singular nouns. They will start considering themselves proper nouns when asked to give an example of one. The book also introduces the concept that nouns would answer the questions: who, what, when and where.

If you're interested in finding out more information about any of the books reviewed or if you'd like to purchase the books, click the cover image for a link to Amazon.com.

1 comments:

style='clear: both;' Deanna H. said...

Thanks for the great books. I didn't know it was National Grammar Day.