Monday, May 11, 2009

[Sort Of] Mother's Day Books

My regular daily post will come later this afternoon, but... these book reviews were supposed to be completed for Friday's post... and I'm sure many of you noticed the post looking a little funky and not up to par! I was very busy all last week trying to get things finalized for a benefit bake sale and the further the week went on, the more time consuming that task became, hence the reason for my lack of posting! However, now that I've had time to sit down and read all three of these wonderful books, I have decided that 2 of them were not at all what I had in mind as a "Mother's Day" book posting! Because of that, I thought to go ahead and post my review... after all it's National Children's Book Week, so I may as well get in as many as possible!

Great Baby Shower Gift!!!

Milord, Susan.
If I Could: A Mother's Promise.
2008.
Candlewick Press.


This book pretty much sums up the goal of motherhood for many! I realize that not all mothers feel this way, but those who are interested in books and sharing literature with kids... they'll definitely find appreciation at receiving this as a gift... either at a shower or when baby's born!

A raccoon mother shares with her baby all of the things she would do for her child if she could... including loving the baby more than she already does. My personal favorite promise was,
If I could,
I'd rouse the sun

and make it shine
till day is done.
Everyone (at least me, of course) knows that sunny days are the best days!

Great Graduation Gift (Preschool, Kindergarten, High-School, Even College)!!!

McGhee, Alison.
Someday.
2007.
Atheneum Books for Young Readers.


The reason that I feel this would make a great graduation gift is because of the potential that it has to show a child just how much they have to look forward to... someday. It will also act as a constant reminder that Mom is right there behind you, always looking at you and cheering you on!

A mother shares with her child all of the dreams of "first" events that will take place over the course of a lifetime in a simple, yet moving story!
Sometimes, when you sleep, I watch you dream, and I dream too...
Great Mother's Day or Birthday Gift!!!

Browne, Anthony.
My Mom.
2009 (2005).
Farrar, Straus, & Giroux.


This book would make a great gift for a child (of any age) to give a mother (of any age)! To tell your mom, quite simply, how much she means to you is priceless. This book approaches (and accomplishes) just that with only a few simple phrases... and remember, with a little care, books can give a lifetime of memories! I think I might just be putting this one away to give my own mom as a Mother's Day gift, come next Mother's Day!

A young child (male or female, I'll be calling the child a her) we do not know, shares with the whole world just how important her mother is by focusing on all that Mom does for her and all the things that Mom is great at. The part of the book that most makes me think of my own mom,
And she's a good fairy;
when I'm sad she can make me happy.
Of course, Mom's not a fairy, but she is fairly good at cheering me up and making me happy when I'm sad! I don't think this book will be a disappointment for Mom at all, in fact, it'll make her quite happy!

If you're interested in finding out more information about any of the books reviewed or if you'd like to purchase the books, click the cover image for a link to Amazon.com.

0 comments: