Friday, September 25, 2009

Banned Book Week

This week, September 26 through October 3 marks Banned Book Week of 2009. Banned Book Week is celebrated the last week of September each year and is observed the celebrate the freedom to read.

Each day this week I will be featuring one book pulled from the 2008 Banned Book List. The schedule is as follows:
  • September 26 - Walter the Farting Dog, William Kotzwinkle
  • September 27 - The Library Dragon, Carmen Deedy
  • September 28 - Mommy Laid an Egg, Babette Cole & It's Perfectly Normal, Robie Harris
  • September 29 - And Tango Makes Three, Richard Parnell
  • September 30 - James and the Giant Peach, Roald Dahl
  • October 1 - In the Night Kitchen, Maurice Sendak
  • October 2 - Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret, Judy Blume
  • October 3 - Little House on the Prairie, Laura Ingalls Wilder
I have made my selections carefully, choosing books that I think kids are most apt to pull from a library or book store shelf. I am going to ask that, if you have experience with any of these books, to please leave a comment on the day's post telling me what your thoughts are, as I will be doing the same in my daily post:
  • Should the book be on the banned book list?
  • Is it okay to be found on a library or book store shelf?
  • How would you share this book with your child/children?
  • If you are not familiar with the book, based on my post and the discussion of others, would you consider allowing your child to read/be read this book? Why? Why not?

2 comments:

style='clear: both;' Christy Killoran said...

I look forward to reading what you write about the books. We are doing a project with Draw me a Star by Eric Carle over the next few days. It is on the list because there is a page with an unclothed man and woman.

style='clear: both;' Unknown said...

Wow, I thought are you kidding when I read this list! I have bought these books for my students and children at home. WOW. I am not a live dangerous person either.