Sunday, September 13, 2009

September 26-October 3: Banned Book Week

As I am sure many of you are aware, September 26-October 3 celebrates Banned Book Week. During those days, here at Katie's Literature Lounge, I am going to be featuring double-posts with an emphasis on books featured on the 2008 Banned Book List. I am appealing to my bloggers to head out to your local library, or bookstore (if you're feeling wealthy and in the mood to purchase) and check out these books - bring them home, read them there... Throughout the week, I will be making a daily post regarding one of the books I have chosen and then asking for reader's input on the books...
  • Should the book be on the banned book list?
  • Is it okay to be found on a library or book store shelf?
  • How would you share this book with your child/children?
  • If you are not familiar with the book, based on my post and the discussion of others, would you consider allowing your child to read/be read this book? Why? Why not?
The books I have chosen to feature are:
  • September 26 - Walter the Farting Dog, William Kotzwinkle
  • September 27 - The Library Dragon, Carmen Deedy
  • September 28 - Mommy Laid an Egg, Babette Cole & It's Perfectly Normal, Robie Harris
  • September 29 - And Tango Makes Three, Richard Parnell
  • September 30 - James and the Giant Peach, Roald Dahl
  • October 1 - In the Night Kitchen, Maurice Sendak
  • October 2 - Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret, Judy Blume
  • October 3 - Little House on the Prairie, Laura Ingalls Wilder
So, please, please head out to the local library or book store and pick up a copy - read them... and be ready to share what you think... I've posted these in advance so you have two weeks to get them read and prepare your thoughts!