Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Duck Song

Teach a lesson about compassion and persistence with The Duck Song.

Oden, Bryant.
The Duck Song.
September 2010.
Flinders Press Inc.
Review copy provided courtesy of publisher.


When a duck walks up to a lemonade stand in search of grapes one day, the man running the lemonade stand is easily unamused. Why on earth would a duck come to a lemonade stand in search of grapes? The story continued on, day after day with the duck looking for grapes at the lemonade stand. Eventually, the person running the lemonade stand has a change of heart of takes the duck to the store to purchase him some grapes. Surprisingly, the duck refuses the grape when offered. I half expected the duck to make a comment about making grape juice and was slightly disappointed that I didn't see that twist in the storyline. However, while I was a bit disappointed, I can see my preschoolers cracking up at the comedy in this book! Add in the fact that there's a 12-song CD included and its pretty much sure to be a hit with little ones!

Learning/Reading Activity:
  • Using concentrated juice, work with preschoolers to make both lemonade and grape juice. Talk about the foods that are used to make each. Then, have children taste both juices. Graph the favorite results for each child! Then, have them each draw a picture of another kind of fruit juice that they (or duck) could try!


If you're interested in finding out more information about any of the books reviewed or if you'd like to purchase the books, click the cover image for a link to Amazon.com. I am an Amazon Affiliate, so any purchases you make after clicking these images will result in my receiving a small percentage of the sale price!

2 comments:

style='clear: both;' BookChook said...

I love the song which has always given me ear worm - I sing "waddle waddle" for the rest of the day. I am definitely on the lookout for the book and CD now!

style='clear: both;' The Adoption Journey of Baby King said...

My boys, 9 and 3 love this song and watch the video online. It also gives me the ear worm...totally stuck in my head.