Monday, March 14, 2011

Children will quickly understand the importance of taking responsibility for your own actions and learning to make the good (and right) choice!

Lehman, Dana.
I DOUBLE Dare You!
April 2008.
Lehman Publishing.
Review copy provided courtesy of publisher.


Silly and Sassy head to Walnut Grove Resort to spend a week vacationing with their cousin, Sammy. Sammy knows that he has to watch out for his cousins, as they're always getting in trouble. However, despite his best efforts, Sammy isn't able to keep the pair out of trouble and it takes a big adventure for Silly and Sassy to learn the lesson that they have to take responsibility for their own actions and not just try and please their friends (or others), especially if they know that they're about to do something that could be considered "wrong."

After number behavior issues have popped up in my Head Start classroom, I just knew I had to share this book with my students after having read it on my own. I got mixed reactions when I read it. Of 16 children, I would say about half sat contentedly and listened. The other half behaved in a typical manner, unable to sit for a story of any length. It's not unexpected, at least in my room! The children who were engaged were VERY engaged and responded appropriately throughout, including making appropriate predictions! From my conversation and interaction with the children, I would say they definitely were able to understand the message shared... and I'm hoping that it will sink in, as many of those who were engaged are also my "behaviors," who could certainly benefit from the message given! We'll have to see how things go, but I'm thinking with a few reminders of the characters and the message, they just might catch on!

It's also easy to see why I DOUBLE Dare You! is the recipient of the Mom's Choice Award - any mother would want their child to understand the importance of the message relayed in this wonderfully written and illustrated book! I'm so glad to have been informally introduced to the author through a cousin!



If you're interested in finding out more information about any of the books reviewed or if you'd like to purchase the books, click the cover image for a link to Amazon.com. I am an Amazon Affiliate, so any purchases you make after clicking these images will result in my receiving a small percentage of the sale price!

0 comments: