Saturday, April 24, 2010

Horrid Henry's Joke Book

A delightful way to engage hesitant readers!

Simon, Francesca.
Horrid Henry's Joke Book.
April 1, 2010.
Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.
Review copy provided courtesy of publisher.


Horrid Henry returns to share with readers some of his most horrid jokes... and yes, some of the jokes truly are horrid! Page after page are filled with jokes... all categorized into unique chapters. Children will get a kick out of reading the jokes and then retelling them to friends and family - what better way to get hesitant young readers to pick up a book? While the book is intended for middle-grade readers, creative teachers and/or parents could easily use this with children much younger who understand the concept of jokes.

I'm even going to try a few of these out with my preschoolers, who have suddenly expressed an interest in knock-knock jokes... I'm not sure if they'll fully understand, but these are definitely worth trying on them! I thought it might be fun to share a few of my personal favorites with you - the ones I'm going to try out with preschoolers... perhaps you'd like to share them as well!
What would you find on a haunted beach?
A sandwitch.

What do mermaids have on toast?
Mermalade.

Knock knock.
Who's there?
Ahab.
Ahab who?
Ahab to go to the bathroom.

Why did the golfer wear two pairs of underpants?
In case he got a hole in one.

When is the best time to visit the dentist?
Tooth-hurty.

What do you call a dinosaur with one eye?
Do-you-think-he-saur-us?

Knock knock.
Who's there?
Dishes.
Dishes who?
Dishes your friend. Let me in!

What did the teddy bear say when he was offered dessert?
No thanks, I'm stuffed.
Those were just a few of my personal favorites! As I'm sure you figured out from the jokes I shared, this is a wonderful book, and you can't go wrong for the paperback price of only $4.99!

Learning/Reading Activities:
  • Jokes are a wonderful way to start communication or dinnertime conversation with your child(ren). Get each child his/her own spiral notebook and help them come up with a clever name for their "Joke Book." For example, for myself, I might call my joke book, Kooky Katie's Joke Book. Each day, provide your child(ren) with a new joke that they can write down and then share with friends or other family members! Kids will love the opportunity to dish out a new joke to their friends!


If you're interested in finding out more information about any of the books reviewed or if you'd like to purchase the books, click the cover image for a link to Amazon.com. I am an Amazon Affiliate, so any purchases you make after clicking these images will result in my receiving a small percentage of the sale price!

0 comments: