Teach children not to "judge a book by its cover" with new, unexpected characters based on a longtime childhood fairy tale.
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
Review copy provided courtesy of publisher.
The three Pygg brothers get an unexpected visitor one day shortly after they move into their sturdy, new home. What you (and children) expect to play out doesn't... and you just might be surprised at how the story does end! Together, the unlikely foursome team up together to play a trick on a large pack of wolves, surprising everyone with their creativity in the process.
The story will definitely impress upon readers that you really shouldn't judge someone based on just their "cover!" Children will likely easily catch on to this. The book itself is quite lengthy... but definitely ideal for a family (or classroom) read-aloud over the course of a week or so. I do think that it will capture the attention of the youngest of readers, so long as they are previously introduced and familiar with the story of the Three Little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf.
- Read a version of the Three Little Pigs and Wolf Pie aloud with your child(ren). After reading, have your child complete a Venn diagram to compare and contrast the similarities and differences between the two different stories. With older children, you could also ask them to write an essay upon completing the Venn diagram. Venn diagram can be downloaded here.
- Work with your child(ren) to create "Wolf Pies" of your own for dinner one night! They're really just vegetable pot pies... a fairly simple recipe can be found here!
HOW TO ENTER THE GIVEAWAY:
- Leave a comment on this post sharing your child's favorite fairy tale.
- Be sure to leave an email address along with your comment.
- Deadline to enter is Saturday, September 25th at 11:59PM EST.
- For an extra entry(or three):
1. Become a subscriber/follower of my blog (+1)
2. Blog about this giveaway on your own blog and leave a link in your comment (+1)
3. Leave a tweet on your Twitter page and then leave a link in your comment (+1)
- Contest is open to U.S. Residents only, sorry for any inconveniences!
- Winner will be selected at random by Saturday, October 2nd and will receive a copy of Wolf Pie.
If you're interested in finding out more information about any of the books reviewed or if you'd like to purchase the books, click the cover image for a link to Amazon.com. I am an Amazon Affiliate, so any purchases you make after clicking these images will result in my receiving a small percentage of the sale price!