Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Healthy Eating Habits for Kids

It's National Nutrition Month, so I figured I should give you guys something related to healthy eating habits! I've got 2 for today... the Berenstain Bears book I thought I had on my bookshelf seems to not be there... not sure where it's ended up, but for now, it's MIA. And a little tidbit to share... I was probably one of the world's pickiest eaters as a child (my parents used to have to place cheese curls on shelves at my level, just to get me to eat anything at any point during the day). While I've expanded my horizons quite a bit, I still have a long way to go!

Landry, Leo.
Eat Your Peas, Ivy Louise!
2005.
Houghton Mifflin.

This is a cute story and will certainly get some chuckles from the youngsters, however, a word of caution - make sure they're actually eating their peas before reading this story!

Geared for the 2-6 age range, Landry shares with us the story of Ivy Louise, who apparently does not like her peas. Her parents do everything they can to convince her to eat those peas, rolling them around her tray, building them into a pyramid, and having them perform circus acts. Unfortunately, this only adds to little Ivy's imagination and just when her parents think she might take a spoonful and eat them, she instead flings them out the window!

Rockwell, Lizzy.
Good Enough to Eat.
1999.
HarperCollins Publishers.

This book does a wonderful job of allowing kids to see the importance of healthy eating. Not only does Rockwell explain all of the things that eating allows your body to do (e.g. grow, play, fight germs, breathe), she also explains in kid-friendly language the nutrients in food and what they allow your body to do.

This book would make a wonderful addition to any home library if you have children who are picky eaters or in any classroom where a part of the curriculum emphasizes the digestive system and healthy eating skills.

If you're interested in finding out more information about any of the books reviewed or if you'd like to purchase the books, click the cover image for a link to Amazon.com.

0 comments: