Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Word Study Wednesday - #1!

I received in the mail, 4 books from the Sounds Like Reading series, published by Lerner Publishing. 8 of the books in the series will be released this coming April and for the next 4 weeks, on Wednesdays, I will be posting a review of one of the books in this new word family series. Today, I have a review of the first book, The Bug in the Jug Wants a Hug.

Cleary, Brian P.
The Bug in the Jug Wants a Hug.
April 2009.
Lerner Publishing.


This is a great tool for teaching short vowel word families (-ug, -am, -un, -id, -en, -ot, -og, -et, -at, -ed, -ig, -ink, -an, -ell). While I anticipated the book, based on the title to be about the -ug word family, I was surprised to find that it's about short vowel sound words. I think the best use for this book would be to introduce word families one-by-one, rather than reading the entire book at once.

Despite my initial thoughts on what I anticipated the book to be and being a little discouraged that it wasn't a word family book, I will still definitely be using this in my classroom someday, or lending it out to early elementary teachers whose students will benefit from it!

Other Word -ug Word Family Books:
Teaching the -ug Word Family
If you're interested in finding out more information about any of the books reviewed or if you'd like to purchase the books, click the cover image for a link to Amazon.com.

0 comments: