Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Country Road ABC

Learn simply about those farms you see on the back-country roads!

Geisert, Arthur.
Country Road ABC.
May 24, 2010.
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
Review copy provided courtesy of publisher.


Geisert offers children a chance to explore the alphabet through farm life - one farm-related topic for each letter of the alphabet. Coupled with illustrations that provide the story with a country-style appeal, the simple text allows readers to explore on their own through illustrations or to use the farm glossary provided at the back of the book to further explore what each of the letters/words/phrases is really all about.

I definitely think I'll be putting this book to use in my preschool classroom when we focus on our theme of "In the City, In the Country," as I can really doctor it to meet the educational needs of my students and give them a different outlook on farm life that they might not see in other children's literature!

Learning/Reading Activity:
  • Use this story prior to taking a field trip to visit a local, nearby farm. Provide your child with the worksheet that can be downloaded here (print on legal size paper) to use as a scavenger hunt to help peak interest and keep a focus to the visit! During your visit, check off how many of the different letters of the alphabet you see put to work!


If you're interested in finding out more information about any of the books reviewed or if you'd like to purchase the books, click the cover image for a link to Amazon.com. I am an Amazon Affiliate, so any purchases you make after clicking these images will result in my receiving a small percentage of the sale price!

2 comments:

style='clear: both;' Brimful Curiosities said...

This looks perfect for all rural libraries. I know our library tries to keep a good stock of farm books.

style='clear: both;' Katie said...

Interesting you should mention that... I can't say I've ever noticed a correlation at my local library with the community where I live... I'll have to pay more attention next time I'm in there!