Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Newton and Me

Teaching children about Newton's Law in a kid-friendly way!

Mayer, Lynne.
Newton and Me.
February 2010.
Sylvan Dell Publishing.
Review copy provided courtesy of publisher.


A little boy and his dog, Newton, discover much about forces of motion in this story as the two spend the day together exploring. Through simple, everyday child-friendly activities , such as rolling a ball, pushing a toy truck, pulling a wagon, riding a bike, and playing tug-of-war, children will learn a great deal about motion and moving objects.

I've had the opportunity to review several different Sylvan Dell titles in the year and a half my blog has been up and running. However, I don't think that until now, I've found a book that will be quite as useful and educational in my classroom! I feel very fortunate to be able to add this story to my collection. The curriculum used by my school has one preschool theme that's titled "Let's Move." This will be a wonderful addition to enhance my students' knowledge on movement and a unique way to incorporate science into the theme, as I can already envision my students having a great deal of fun exploring all of these different activities on their own!

Learning/Reading Activity:
  • I created an activity to go along with Newton and Me that is appropriate and can be used by my preschoolers. The activity has children exploring where objects move easier/quicker - on carpet or on the floor and then by pushing or pulling. This activity is 2-pages and can be downloaded here and here.
  • Sylvan Dell has also provided a Teaching Activities packet that can be downloaded here with many wonderful activities as well!


If you're interested in finding out more information about any of the books reviewed or if you'd like to purchase the books, click the cover image for a link to Amazon.com. I am an Amazon Affiliate, so any purchases you make after clicking these images will result in my receiving a small percentage of the sale price!

0 comments: